STAY IN OUR VILLAGE SUITES
The Salutations (Salutation 1 and 2 – Village Double Rooms and Salutation Suite) were originally the lodge and stable block at Aber Ia (The original name for Portmeirion before Sir Clough’s acquisition of the site). With some alterations such as ‘Cloughing up’ the right hand gable the building was originally used as a café in 1931 when visitor numbers overwhelmed the capacity of the hotel. The building also housed (As it does currently) the Ship Shop, opened by Clough’s daughter Susan Williams Ellis.
Having undergone an extensive refurbishment in 2021 the Salutation Suite boasts unrivalled views of the village piazza from the balcony.
Accessed by a small flight of Welsh Slate Steps and traditional door, with modern separate living area, kitchenette with Espresso machine and fridge, a luxurious four poster bed dressed with fine Egyptian cotton, and en-suite with walk in shower, Salutation Suite enjoys a prime spot in the centre of the village.
Telford’s Tower & Unicorn
Telford’s tower and Unicron are both Family Suites – Sleeping up to four guests in one cottage. All of our family suites have two separate double bedrooms, some have family bathrooms, whereby the majority house en-suite in at least one of the bedrooms.
Telford’s Tower was built to mark Thomas Telford’s bicentenary, with its oriel window, concrete spiral staircase and slate roof and vase final Telford’s mirrors the famous Campanile on the other side of the central piazza. Once refurbished the first occupant was the Shake of Oman.
Accessed from the behind, Telford’s Tower has access to the parking space for resident vehicles, its interior is finely detailed and compromises a ground floor double bedroom (This can be made as a Twin bedroom if requested.) living room with imitation electric fireplace, kitchenette with espresso machine, and upstairs is the Tower Bedroom.
The Unicorn is a Palladian house with seven windows and four Doric pilasters with over embellished with a unicorn. Sir Clough on occasion described The Unicorn as his favourite building at Portmeirion as it embodied his belief that good design need not cost more. This ‘Mini Chatsworth’ as it was sometimes called, is set back above the roadway in imposing isolation but its grandeur is deflated by a peak around the back. This reveals it to be a flat roofed bungalow.
The Anchors and The Fountains
Anchor was designed in 1930, and the Fountain sometime later. Located at the bottom of the village, the Anchor originally had six small bedrooms which in 1990 were converted into three spacious Suites. The Fountain building also contains two suites. The five rooms here are by far some of our most popular for estuary views.
Accessed by external stone staircases flanking each side of the building and furnished in a classic Portmeirion style (some with modern hints), all living areas with kitchenettes and bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms and plenty of windows allowing for uninterrupted views of the Dwyryd Estuary and Portmeirion's oval outdoor heated swimming pool which was installed in the 1970's.
The Anchor has been adorned with a mural of Neptune painted by Hans Feibusch. It is the Fountain building that the award-winning, world renowned playwright Sir Noel Coward wrote Blythe Spirit. Having fled to Portmeirion to get away from the noise of the London Blitz, the play was written in just 5 days.
Portmeirion has 22 village suites for you to choose from, all with different views, style and architecture.
For more information on the suites and all other accommodation please do not hesitate to contact our reservations department on
Phone – 01766 770 000
Email - [email protected]
We look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you to the village.